This issue is a global issue – mural in Germany
For the last few days, we have been watching the events in the US unfold in horror and sadness. And we cannot stay quiet as this is a global issue, a global pandemic of another kind that has been spreading for far too long.
We stand with the peaceful protesters who are demonstrating against injustices and are trying to create real change in their country, we see you, we support you, we walk with you. #BlackLivesMatter #EndPoliceBrutality #FightRacism
STEAKS Crew members are directly affected by the current events and many of them are working to help raise awareness and be an ally to the cause. Even if justice for George Floyd is served, it will only be the beginning of what needs to be done to end racial inequality. Find out below what you can do – no matter where you live.
Actions you can take today
- If you are demonstrating – stay safe & remember you are demonstrating during a pandemic.
- If you are an ally – check in on your black friends and let them know you support them, then listen, learn & take an inward look. Here are two great lists with tips:
- How to help your Black friends and your non-Black friends today (weshouldgettogether.com)
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice (Medium)
- Use your platforms to help raise awareness – help promote and defend humans rights
- Speak up if you see injustice happening locally. Here are some tips on bystander intervention from the American Friends Service Committee.
Educate yourself & start Anti-Racism work
Whiteness and White Privilege (racialequitytools.org)
A Brief History of Slavery and the Origins of American Policing (Police Studies Online)
Educational Resources & various media
Erwes and Lily Gaskell helped us find the following link lists that include educational resources but also tips for books to read, movies to watch, podcasts to listen to and people and organisations to follow:
Anti-Racism Resources (google doc)
Anti-Racism Resources (google doc, Finnish)
A list of resources for supporting the Black Lives Matter movement (itsnicethat.com)
If you are planning to do some reading the following book collections will be a good place to start. Get the books at your local bookshop or – as Sharpe advices – check to see if you can sign up for a free 30 day trial at an audio book service.
Anti-Racism Causes you can support
Do you have further tips for local causes people can support? Please share so we can grow this list.
Black Lives Matter
Overview: Ways you can help BLM
43 Bail Funds You Can Absolutely Support Right Now
(Argentina, link provided by Huevo)
Stiftung gegen Rassismus
United Against Racism
(European network with over 560 supporter organisations in Europe)